Let's be honest, we all know the Supporters Shield is truly dead with the unbalanced schedule. Garber is concentrating the league on regional rivalries within the conferences. So here is my idea to remedy this situation. Rather than fight against it we can make this more exciting by...
1. Split the shield so there is an East Shield and a West Shield.
2. Only conference game points count towards each conference's shield.
3. This way the shields make more sense and once again carry weight as they are measured on each team's performance within their respected conference. Each shield will protect its team in the playoffs with home advantage.
4. But what about the final MLS match in the playoffs? With an unbalanced schedule and 2 shields what gives? This is where the All-Star game comes in. Let East play West and the winner gets that advantage. This will make the All-Star game mean something super awesome. And while we're being honest here, our All-Star games now are kind of silly. You can't expect a group of guys who don't normally play together and have enough chemistry to take on the likes of Chelsea. In the end it only makes the MLS look bad. Screw the EPL, let's do our own thing here.
5. Finally this leaves us with CONCACAF qualifying. The 4 US spots could go to MLS Cup Champs, Open Cup Champs, East Shield, and West Shield. If any of those teams are Canadian or repeats we then start using the runner ups.
Since the supporters created the shield in the first place we should be able to change how it works as well. Thoughts?