In what was likely their final move before the Re-Entry Draft, the Seattle Sounders have re-signed goalkeeper Josh Ford. The announcement came on Thursday, just a few hours before the draft was scheduled to take place. He had originally been slated to participate in the draft.
"We are very happy to bring Josh back in 2014," Sporting Director Chris Henderson said in a team release. "The work that he has done with goalkeeper coach Tom Dutra has helped him to be in a position to compete in goal. Josh is an up-and-coming goalkeeper with very good quality and has proven to be a great teammate in the clubhouse."
The Sounders picked Ford in the 2011 Supplemental Draft, considering him among the top goalkeepers in a draft class that also included the much-more-hyped Zac MacMath. The UConn product has battled injuries throughout his Sounders career and, as a result, has not made a single regular-season appearance. The team has thought well enough of him to keep him over several similar-priced and aged goalkeepers, though.
Here's the updated list of eligible players
2013 RE-ENTRY DRAFT ELEGIBLE PLAYERS BY CLUB
Vancouver Whitecaps (2): GK Joe Cannon, F Corey Hertzog
NOTE: * indicates players out of contract. All other players had their options declined.
- Chad Marshall traded to Seattle Sounders in exchange for allocation money, draft pick
- Scouting Report: Tristan Bowen
- Sounders trade Mauro Rosales to Chivas USA for Tristan Bowen, Allocation Ranking spot
- Mauro Rosales says he's leaving Sounders as Re-Entry Draft deadline approaches
- Reign Send Marshall Back to Portland For First-Round Pick