This is it. Tonight is the night when the #1 team and #2 team in MLS face off for the top spot in the Supporters Shield standings. If you have a hard time getting pumped up for a game like this, you should check yourself for a heartbeat. This is as good as MLS regular season match ups get. With well over 50,000 in attendance, both teams will come into the match tonight with plenty to prove. The biggest knock on Seattle all year has been their perceived inability to beat a top-tier MLS team, and they'll be itching to stifle that narrative. Real Salt Lake has faced several challengers to their top spot in the league and won't easily relinquish their hold on the top of the table.
RSL Soapbox notes that the result of this game will swing momentum in favor of the winner, in addition to granting them Supporters Shield frontrunner status. Seattle and RSL fans aren't the only ones amped up for tonight's match. MLSsoccer.com says it could be the biggest game of the year. Despite Seattle's impressive home record this year and the expected large turnout, Real Salt Lake won't be intimidated.
Brad Evans won't be available for this game, as he is still recovering from his calf injury, but Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey will have a role to play against Real Salt Lake, despite playing significant minutes on Tuesday night. Eddie Johnson spoke out about his "pay me" celebration in Columbus, explaining his motivation behind it while reassuring fans that he is still a Sounder at heart.
Two Sounders and two additional natives of the Puget Sound were featured in a list of the top 20 uncapped US players.
Dempsey was serenaded after the match in Columbus by his USMNT teammates.
When Mexico faces off against Panama in Estadio Azteca next month, it will be under their third manager in as many matches. Shortly after being fired by Monterrey, despite winning CONCACAF Champions League in 3 consecutive seasons, Victor Manuel Vucetich was hired yesterday as Mexico's new manager and last hope of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup.
It looks like San Jose's stadium is being delayed again. After being previously delayed to midway through the 2014 season, it is now reportedly being targeted for opening in 2015. While that's bad news for San Jose fans, it's even worse news for the league, which will have to suffer through another year of attendances limited by the 10,500 capacity of Buck Shaw Stadium.
Remember those 3 expansion cities I mentioned yesterday that MLS commissioner Don Garber has reportedly already identified. Miami and Orlando were pretty obvious, but the third city was anybody's best guess. A report that emerged yesterday strongly suggests that Atlanta could be the third city.
With much of Commerce City, Colorado underwater after a dam failed yesterday, it is likely that the game between the Colorado Rapids and FC Dallas will have to be postponed. Despite the possibility of a postponed match, FC Dallas fans will be pleased with the news that their team has added an academy affiliate in Monterrey, Mexico, which was facilitated by FC Dallas' U14 head coach, who is a native of Monterrey.
Here are this weekend's TV and live stream listings:
- Ligue 1: Bordeaux vs. PSG 11:30 AM beIN Sport
- Liga MX: Querétaro vs. Atlante 5:30 PM ESPN Deportes, Azteca
- MLS: Seattle Sounders vs. Real Salt Lake 7:00 PM NBC Sports Network
- Liga MX: Santos Laguna vs. América 7:30 PM Univision Deportes
- Premier League: Manchester United vs. Crystal Palace 4:30 AM NBC Sports Network
- Premier League: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 7:00 AM NBC Sports Network
- English League Championship: Leicester City vs. Wigan Athletic 7:00 AM beIN Sport
- Ligue 1: Toulouse vs. Olympique Marseille 8:00 AM Univision Deportes
- Serie A: Inter Milan vs. Juventus 9:00 AM beIN Sport
- Premier League: Everton vs. Chelsea 9:30 AM NBC
- Ligue 1: Ajaccio vs. Evian TG 11:00 AM Univision Deportes
- La Liga: Barcelona vs. Sevilla 11:00 AM beIN Sport
- Eredivisie: Twente vs. PSV 11:45 AM ESPN Deportes, ESPN3
- MLS: DC United vs. LA Galaxy 1:00 PM UniMás
- La Liga: Villareal vs. Real Madrid 1:00 PM beIN Sport
- Liga MX: Veracruz vs. León 3:00 PM Univision Deportes
- LIga MX: Cruz Azul vs. Tigres UANL 3:00 PM Univision
- MLS: Philadelphia Union vs. Houston Dynamo 4:30 PM MLS Stream of the Week
- Liga MX: Monterrey vs. Pachuca 5:00 PM Univision Deportes
- Liga MX: Chiapas vs. Atlas 7:00 PM Univision Deportes
- MLS: Chivas USA vs. Portland Timbers 7:30 PM Root Sports
- Ligue 1: Monaco vs. Lorient 5:00 AM beIN Sport
- Premier League: Southampton vs. West Ham United 8:00 AM NBC Sports Network
- Liga MX: Puebla vs. Toluca 10:00 AM ESPN Deportes, Azteca
- Liga MX: Pumas UNAM vs. Morelia 10:00 AM Univision
- Serie A: Sampdoria vs. Genoa 11:45 AM beIN Sport
- Ligue 1: Olympique Lyonnais vs. Rennes 12:00 PM Univision Deportes
- NCAA: Oregon State vs. Air Force 2:00 PM Pac 12 Network
- Liga MX: Guadalajara vs. Tijuana 3:00 PM UniMás