Welcome back suckers. Don't forget that The Sounders aren't the only MLS team kicking off their season today. There's lots of excellent soccer matches hitting the airwaves, like LA and Salt Lake playing later tonight. Today on the start of MLS' 19th season, I'd like to thank you in advance for having thoughtful, interesting comments (as well as admonish you for your spiteful, ignorant ones). A few reminders as we kick things off:
- The home team will always be the one named first
- Bold parenthesis indicate where to find the match in question.
- Normal parenthesis are my match picks.
- All times are Pacific Standard.
- Clicking on the team name will lead you to that team's SB Nation blog, where you can get a more in-depth look at lineups and matchups.
- No, I will not come with you to your, your son's, or your daughter's prom, no matter how many retweets you get.
- Let me know if there are things you'd like to see change in our/my coverage. We may be omnipotent, but we also like to throw a few wrenches in to screw with you gals and guys.
GAME OF THE WEEK
The LA Galaxy and Real Salt Lake have combined for five Finals appearances since 2009, making them the two biggest powerhouses in MLS. Neither club saw much of a roster turnover, at least where it concerns the starting XI. The biggest difference is that Jason Kreis will no longer stand opposite of Bruce Arena. Instead, Jeff Cassar will get the privilege of facing off with ol' Droopy. The Galaxy won the season series last year thanks to a Robbie Keane hat trick in the August rubber match. Real Salt Lake got their revenge in the postseason, knocking the Galaxy out on their way to MLS Cup. A Landon Donovan goal would make him the number one scorer in MLS history, so look for Salt Lake to put as Kyle Beckerman on him as often as possible. After all, what's three points when you have to see highlights of Donovan celebrating in front of your players every month for the next ten years?