In a small update to the news that Obafemi Martins is/was in London it is clear that the agent, Tekin Birinci, is denying that any talks have occurred. It would seem the meeting that spurred earlier speculation was merely a social gathering.
Bazi yazili basin organlarinda cikan Obafemi Martins menejeriyle Türkiye he geldi haberleri dogru degildir. Oba xmass icin Nijerya ya gecti.— Tekin Birinci (@tekinbirinci) December 23, 2013
There are many reasons the agent could be saying this.
- He's telling the truth.
- Turkish League rules prevent discussions without formal notice.
- He's protecting his player/himself as they didn't have permission from Seattle.
- He's trying to drive up price.
- They didn't come to an agreement.
- Any number of other things.
Caykur Rizespor are 13th in the Turkish League and are keen to sign the Nigerian, but they are not the only Turkish side interested, with Genclerbirligi also keen to speak to him.
He was due to hold talks with West Ham last night, although Allardyce is weighing up options.
And there we can start to surmise that Martins is on the market.