Winning Wednesday night seems such a distant chance. In MLS current, yet short, playoff format only 8 times has a team scored three goals or more in an MLS Playoff game. Only twice have teams come from behind two goals down in a two leg aggregate goals series. The last time that happened was 2004. The other year was 2003. Major League Soccer doesn't have the history of other sports leagues, but in its short life what Seattle needs to do has not happened.
But that does not matter. These facts and historical nuggets have nothing to do with the 90 or 120 minutes to come.
- 2011 MLS Playoffs - Real Salt Lake (3rd) beats Seattle Sounders (2nd) 3-nil at home.
- 2010 MLS Playoffs - FC Dallas (4th) beats LA Galaxy (1st) 3-nil on the road in Conference Finals
- 2008 MLS Playoffs - Chicago Fire (3rd) beat New England Revolution (4th) 3-0 at home. New York Red Bulls (8th) beat Houston Dynamo (2nd) 3-nil on road.
- 2007 MLS Playoffs - Houston Dynamo (3rd) beat FC Dallas (5th) 4-1 AET at home.
- 2005 MLS Playoffs - Chicago Fire (4th) beat DC United (3rd) 4-0 on the road.
- 2004 MLS Playoffs - Kansas City Wizards (2nd) overcome two goal deficit to advance after 3-0 win over the San Jose Earthquakes (7th) at home.
- 2003 MLS Playoffs - San Jose Earthquakes (2nd) overcome two goal deficit to advance after 5-2 AET win over the Los Angeles Galaxy (8th) at home.
No MLS team had won two US Open Cups in a row. The Seattle Sounders took three.
MLS expansion teams in the modern era don't make it to the Playoffs. The Seattle Sounders made it three.
MLS teams don't qualify for the regional championships (CCL/CCC) over multi-year periods. The Seattle Sounders made it three times in a row.
Seattle came from behind to win the 2010 US Open Cup Final. In 2009 they came from behind to beat the Houston Dynamo in the 2009 Open Cup Semis. The team has overcome road deficits and home deficits. This team does a fine job of writing history every day.
Captain Kasey Keller's story is not yet done. There are blank pages that need to be filled. Leg two at home is a fine time to help write a few more.