This is the first battle for a kind of Supporters Cup of the year, with the least known, and significant of trophies for which Seattle is competing this year being on the line. The Seattle Sounders currently hold the trophy based. More important than this trophy though would be the contest between two of the teams challenging for recognition as title and Western Conference contenders in the Sounders and the San Jose Earthquakes. The class of the Conference is surely Real Salt Lake, with these two, LA, FCD and the Rapids all trying to lay some claim. A road win by Seattle would help their national perception quite a bit.
Complicating the quest for points will be Seattle hit with another round of injuries, neither Fredy Montero, nor his preseason back-up Mike Fucito are available. In some ways this is like 2010 all over again. A slow start due to injury damaging the future of the 2011 side. In Santa Clara California though there will be 18 in uniform, XI starting, that will determine results more-so than those in street clothes.
Tonight's game is on KING 5/105for TV, and 97.3 FM for radio at 7PM
Statistics (min 66% minutes played)
Team Shot +/- 90
On Goal +/- 90
Keys to Game
- Keep Shooting - Players need to put pressure on the San Jose keeper with shots, not just th perfect ones. This also means don't "overpass" in the box.
- Strong Secondary Runs - Seattle is getting the crosses in but it needs late runners to either pick-up the deflection or the original pass.
- Control flank play - though Buck Shaw feels small due to proximity of stands, it is as wide as Seattle normally treat it like a standard pitch.
- Limit secondary runs by Wondo - he is off ball magic.
- Chris Wondolowski v Centerbacks
- Steve Zakuani v Chris Leitch
Bobby Convey v James Riley
This is your gamethread
Beer: Don Julio Blanco
Scarf: 2011 Season Ticket Holder Rising Crest
Kit: One Nation Under Sigi (buy here)
Where I'm Watching: Best Friend's House
Nos Audietis In Somniis | Nos Audietis In Altum
You Will Hear Us In Your Sleep | You Will Hear Us From The Deep
when we get them