With today's announcement of the United States Gold Cup roster the region's most important edition (the winner goes to the Confederations Cup), it becomes apparent that the Seattle Sounders are poised to be an MLS side that can take advantage of weakened rosters throughout the league for nearly a month. The following players will be lost for duty in the Red, White and Blue;
- Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)
- Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
- Nick Rimando (RSL)
- Benny Feilhaber (New England Revolution)
- Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)
- Tim Ream (Red Bull)
- Juan Agudelo (Red Bull)
Full US Gold Cup Roster, but intriguing as well that Adu and Altidore are back on US soil for matches, which will give MLS a shot at talking them into coming home and playing.
And while Seattle may only get a small advantage from the USA's call-ups if the team makes the Gold Cup Final with a late Gold Cup game against the Red Bulls (two US losses, one Mexico) and a just after the Gold Cup match against the Revolution (one US loss). There are two other issues that get overlooked - Seattle faces both Canadian sides during the Gold Cup (hosting the Whitecaps, traveling to Toronto), and several of the best teams in MLS will be losing key components offering opportunity for a little catch-up after this start.
While MLS sides lose these players;
- Real Salt Lake (1st by PPM at 2.13) - Alvaro Saborio to Costa Rica; Arturo Alvarez to El Salvador; Will Johnson to Canada, Rimando
- LA Galaxy (2nd by PPM at 1.77) - Landon
- Philadelphia Union (tied for 3rd by PPM at 1.70) - Carlos Ruiz to Guatemala
- Portland Timbers (tied for 3rd by PPM at 1.70) - Steve Purdy to El Salvador
- New York Red Bulls (6th by PPM at 1.60) - Rafael Marquez to Mexico; Dwayne De Rosario to Canada; also Ream, Agudelo
- Columbus Crew (9th by PPM at 1.30) - Rogers
- Houston Dynamo (10th by PPM at 1.27) - Andre Hainault to Canada
- DC United (11th by PPM at 1.20) - Dejan Jakovic to Canada
- San Jose 'Quakes (tied 11th by PPM at 1.20) - Wondo
- New England Revolution (14th by PPM at 1.18) - Shalrie Joseph to Grenada; also Feilhaber
- Chicago Fire (16th by PPM at 0.80) - Marco Pappa to Guatemala
- Sporting Kansas City (18th by PPM at 0.50) - Roger Espinoza to Honduras
The lineups will start to effect teams even this weekend several nations start training this weekend. Highlight for Seattle fans? RSL losing at least two prior to the game at Rio Tinto and possibly two more depending on when Canada and USA start. Jamaica, Grenada and a few other rosters still to be announced and that should pull even more players off rosters.
Now, the Copa America will hurt Seattle as they are to lose Alvaro Fernandez, but a few other teams should be dinged then as well, and unlikely to hit Sounders opponents as much as the Gold Cup is hurting most of the league. SB Nation soccer will cover all your Gold Cup action with storystreams and features.