Oh sure, you've got your early round upsets. Maybe a USASA team picks off a PDL team here or there. A few PDL teams rise up and knock of USL Pro or NASL competition. But now is when the upsets get really real. The American soccer community will take notice when an MLS team is downed by a lower division team and we can expect some of that tonight and tomorrow as the third round gets played.
Another benefit of this round is that nearly all of the matches should be streamed. In the second round last week we spent a lot of time relying on Twitter updates. Now we can appreciate the agony and the ecstasy live.
Here's the match schedule and video links for tonight (All times Pacific, you east coast elite bastards).
- 4:00 - DC United at Richmond - Stream
- 4:30 - San Jose at Charleston - Stream
- 4:30 - Colorado at Orlando City - Stream
- 4:30 - FC Dallas at Ft Lauderdale - Stream
- 4:35 - New England at Rochester - Stream
- 4:35 - Ocean City at Philadelphia - Stream
- 5:30 - Des Moines at Sporting KC - Stream
- 6:30 - Atlanta at RSL - Stream
- 7:30 - Chivas at LA Blues - Stream?
By a random quirk of scheduling most of the matches where the MLS team is away are early, so we could see some upsets brewing for the workday is even over. And for the Sounders sake I wouldn't mind seeing a few upsets tonight. That should give them a night to marinate on how easy it is and how terrible it would be to let a lower division side outplay you.