As usual the roster selection for MLS All-Star Game is different. The fans do pick XI players that make the roster, but then a combination of the coach (Peter Vermes of Sporting Kansas City) and Don Garber select the rest of the active roster. There will also later be an inactive roster named by the players so that a total of 32 players will get bonuses.
Today, th Fan XI vote opens and several Sounders are available for selection - Michael Gspurning, Djimi Traore, DeAndre Yedlin, Osvaldo Alonso, Mauro Rosales and Eddie Johnson are all there and arguments could be made for any of them to make the team.
Not on the list are Obafemi Martins and Lamar Neagle.
Rather than list every player in the league a list of 115 players selected by 30 members of the media. Every team has at least six reps on the list.
There is a way for those not on the online ballot to still make the roster due to fan support.
There are several ways for fans to vote the 115 players into the XI. There is no write-in this year.
1) Online at MLSsoccer.com: Vote for your starting lineup of 11 players, beginning June 10.
2) Via text message (SMS): Text an MLS player's last name to 22442, beginning June 10.
- Each vote will count equally with those submitted online in determining the Fan XI.
- Message and data rates may apply.
3) Via Twitter: From June 20-21; full details of Twitter voting will be released on MLSsoccer.com in the near future.
4) The AT&T MLS All-Star "In the Game" Challenge: From July 3 at 12 p.m. ET through July 10 at 3 p.m. ET
The top two forwards who have received the most votes after voting closes are removed from the eligible forward list. Voting for the AT&T MLS All-Star "In the Game" Forward will then take place using FIFA Soccer 13 Ultimate Team. Fans will be invited to play the game and score as many goals as possible with their favorite player among the remaining eligible forwards. Each goal scored will count as one vote. The player who tallies the most goals will be named to the final spot on the Fan XI.