Sounders fans have outdone themselves again. If you can count on anything in Seattle, it's that the demand for anything Sounders-related will meet and exceed supply. When tickets for the premiere of "American Football" unexpectedly went on sale about an hour ahead of schedule yesterday morning, the show sold out in under an hour. Fans were understandably upset when they weren't able to purchase tickets at the announced time of 10:00. Fortunately, the Cinerama theater acted quickly and opened 3 additional screenings of the film. Tickets are currently available on Cinerama's website for Tuesday October 22nd at 7:00 PM and for Saturday October 26th and 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM.
For the second weekend in a row, the Sounders will be involved in the most interesting matchup in MLS. That tends to come with the territory when you find yourself at the top of the league. A lot of the hype surrounding the game will feature Landon Donovan and Clint Dempsey playing for opposing teams for the first time since January 2012, when Donovan was with Everton on loan and Dempsey was playing for Fulham. Dempsey has yet to record a goal or an assist with the Sounders, but neither he nor the team seems too concerned about that, especially since he is just now getting settled in Seattle.
Every month, World Soccer magazine publishes a gallery of the most interesting images from the world of soccer in the past month. This time, the first and last images feature Sounders. The first photo in the gallery featured Eddie Johnson in action in the recent World Cup qualifying match in Costa Rica. The last photo captured Fredy Montero at the bottom of a pile of Sporting CP players celebrating one of his 6 goals this season.
Houston Dynamo president Chris Canetti discussed the recent trade of Adam Moffat for Servando Carrasco in a video on the team's official website. The primary reason for making the deal appears to be the need to address their cap issues going into next season. With the Dynamo needing to progress to the MLS Cup Final for the third consecutive season in order to hold on to the allocation money that comes with participating in CONCACAF Champions League.
Have you ever watched a sporting event on TV and found it a bit odd when the color commentator (usually a former player or coach) makes judgments about a referee's performance? This post proposes creating a third commentator who would be an expert on the laws of the game, which would most likely be a former referee in most cases. This has actually been pretty effective in Fox's NFL coverage with the employment of Mike Pereira, the former NFL Vice President of Officiating in situations in which replay footage is used to ensure a correct decision.
The New York Red Bulls have apparently started advertising in the New York City subway. This is probably something we'll see more of as the Red Bulls begin competing with New York City FC for potential fans east of the Hudson River ahead of NYCFC's inaugural season in 2015. The Red Bulls are going to have to get aggressive in competing for eyeballs, especially with reports of NYCFC attempting to convince Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis to lead the expansion franchise, with Kreis' contract with RSL expiring at the end of the 2013 season.
Toronto FC is set to make a major announcement this morning. They are expected to name a new GM. There was speculation last night that they could pick off Real Salt Lake GM Gareth Lagerwey. Later, it sounded like Toronto is looking to the MLS league office for a candidate to take the position. Soccer By Ives reported that it will be Tim Bezbatchenko, who is the MLS Senior Director of Player Relations and Competition. It will be interesting to see if that turns out to be accurate.
After Chivas USA fired its president after less than a year in the position, Brian Straus of Sports Illustrated explains why firing José David doesn't necessarily address the problem with the worst attended franchise in MLS.
Is NBC starting to repeat some of the same mistakes made in the past in MLS television coverage. Ratings are generally down this year, leading some observers to call for a dedicated night and time slot each week for MLS games on NBC Sports Network.
Victor Manuel Vucetich isn't wasting any time putting his signature on the Mexican national team, putting together a very different lineup for Mexico's training camp, ahead of the final two World Cup qualifying matches. One notable addition is Rafa Márquez.
Let's get to the TV listings. I have underlined the college soccer games involving Sounders Academy alumni.
- Eredivisie: Go Ahead Eagles vs. Cambuur 11:00 AM Fox Sports 2
- Ligue 1: Saint-Étienne vs. Toulouse 11:30 AM beIN Sport, Univision Deportes
- NCAA: North Carolina vs. Virginia Tech 4:00 PM ESPN3
- Liga MX: Morelia vs. Monterrey 5:30 PM ESPN Deportes, Azteca America
- MLS: Portland vs. Colorado 7:00 PM NBC Sports Network
- NCAA: Washington vs. Florida Gulf Coast 7:00 PM Pac 12 Network
- Liga MX: Tijuana vs. Cruz Azul 7:30 PM ESPN Deportes, Azteca America
- Premier League: Norwich City vs. Aston Villa 4:45 AM NBC Sports Network
- Premier League: Liverpool vs. Southampton 7:00 AM NBC Sports Network
- English League Championship: Derby County vs. Reading 7:00 AM beIN Sport
- Ligue 1: Bastia vs. Olympique Marseille 8:00 AM Univision Deportes
- Serie A: Cagliari vs. Sampdoria 9:00 AM beIN Sport
- Premier League: Chelsea vs. Fulham 9:30 AM NBC Sports Network
- MLS: Montreal vs. Vancouver 11:00 AM Univision Deportes
- La Liga: Rayo Vallecano vs. Barcelona 11:00 AM beIN Sport
- MLS: Toronto vs. Sporting KC 1:00 PM MLS Stream of the Week
- Liga MX: América vs. Chiapas 3:00 PM Univision Deportes
- NCAA: Wake Forest vs. Pittsburgh 4:00 PM ESPN3
- Liga MX: Tigres UANL vs. Puebla 5:00 PM Univision Deportes 2
- Liga MX: Pachuca vs. Santos Laguna 5:00 PM UniMás
- Liga MX: Atlante vs. Pumas UNAM 5:00 PM Univision Deportes
- Liga MX: León vs. Guadalajara 6:05 PM Telemundo
- Liga MX: Atlas vs. Veracruz 7:00 PM Univision Deportes 2
- MLS: LA Galaxy vs. Seattle 7:30 PM NBC Sports Network
- Eredivisie: Vitesse vs. PEC Zwolle 3:30 AM ESPN Deportes, ESPN3
- Premier League: Arsenal vs. Stoke City 5:30 AM CNBC
- Serie A: Roma vs. Lazio 6:00 AM beIN Sport
- Premier League: Manchester City vs. Manchester United 8:00 AM NBC Sports Network, Telemundo
- Ligue 1: Olympique Lyon vs. Nantes 8:00 AM beIN Sport
- La Liga: Real Madrid vs. Getafe 10:00 AM beIN Sport
- Liga MX: Toluca vs. Querétaro 10:00 AM Univision Deportes
- NCAA: North Carolina State vs. Florida State 10:00 AM
- Ligue 1: PSG vs. Monaco 12:00 PM beIN Sport, Univision Deportes
- NCAA: Oregon State vs. San Jose State 1:00 PM Pac 12 Network
- NCAA: Stanford vs. Colgate 1:00 PM Pac 12 Network
- MLS: New York Red Bulls vs. FC Dallas 2:00 PM UniMás