Once again, the Sounders are on national television (a situation I'm sure we are all used to) which means that the choices on local TV are limited. ESPN appears to be sitting on their thumbs the first few weeks of this last season of MLS 2.0. Thankfully Univision and UniMas are picking up the slack, right guys? Guys? Anyone?
This week is the season opener for San Jose and Colorado (as well as Seattle's opponent today), so we will get our first tastes of their squads for the 2014 season.
- The home team will always be the one named first
- Bold parenthesis indicate where to find the match in question.
- Normal parenthesis are my match picks.
- All times are Pacific Standard.
- Clicking on the team name will lead you to that team's SB Nation blog, where you can get a more in-depth look at lineups and matchups.
- Requests to write your obituaries will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- Let me know if there are things you'd like to see change in our/my coverage. We may be omnipotent, but we also like to throw a few wrenches in to screw with you gals and guys.
Game of the Week
The most interesting team of the second half isn't Toronto. Well, it might be Toronto, but it might also be Colorado. The Rapids set a club record for points in 2013 behind some young new talent and coach Oscar Pareja lead them to a playoff appearance in Seattle. Optimism would be running especially high for this club if it Pareja was still with the club, but he decided that the grass was greener in... Dallas? Now, Pablo Mastroeni is in charge, and he will have his hands full getting Dillon Powers, Deshorn Brown and company ready for the New York Red Bulls and an especially fresh Thierry Henry (who didn't play last week against Vancouver). New York got completely embarrassed last week, which could either indicate revenge this week or that this Red Bulls team isn't all that good (or option 3: Vancouver is REALLY good). Whatever the case may be, the Red Bulls' only goal last week was a fluke. They'll need Henry to do a lot in the attack as he is known to do.