The MLS All-Star game is a fun, signature event that activates a bunch of sponsors, gets a ton of attention from media around the globe and is kind of confusing. The roster consists of 32 total players, 18 on the gameday roster and is selected through the following systems per league release:
- Each team has eight nominees from a media vote.
- Fans select eleven players by voting online and on Twitter. Ten of them make the roster.
- Fans select an eleventh player (a forward only) by playing EA FIFA 14.
- Don Garber selects two players.
- Caleb Porter, the All-Star coach, selects enough players to fill out a healthy gameday 18. These can only be players that receive two votes from other players.
- Players then fill out an inactive roster so a total of 32 players gain All-Star bonuses and recognition.
Online voting starts today and runs through July 11th. The eight eligible Sounders don't include any surprises - Stefan Frei (every team has one keeper listed), Osvaldo Alonso, Clint Dempsey, Brad Evans, Chad Marshall, Obafemi Martins, Lamar Neagle, DeAndre Yedlin.
There is no MLB style rule that requires a player from every team.
This year the All-Stars will take on Bayern Munich down at Providence Park on August 6th at 6:30 PM. It's quite likely that there will be several Seattle Sounders FC players there representing the Rave Green. They will make a bit more money and continue to increase the exposure of Seattle around the world. They probably won't get hurt and it is unlikely that they tire out, as players tend not go at 100% in this kind of exhibition.