After about 100 games of local pro soccer, a few memories will stick with us forever. In 2014, the defining moment was Pappa purloining the Supporters' Shield. In 2013, we think back to Djimi Traore scoring to tie Tigres UANL in the CCL. When Steve Zakuani returned to the pitch in 2012, the results and goals didn't matter - he exchanged jerseys with the man that essentially ended his career.
The Open Cup took the forefront in 2011, as Ozzie iced that win with a late goal. 2010 was also an Open Cup year - Sanna Nyassi scored a brace in victory. Back in 2009, when we didn't know how special this Seattle soccer community would be, several hundred people welcomed the team home after it won the Open Cup in DC. It was 3 AM.
1. As we learned from Group B not all moments are positive. Sergio Mota went "deez nuts" on a LAG II player.
2. Carli Lloyd won the Women's World Cup for the United States. It was just a few miles north of us. Her midfield goal was the best.
3. It took until the 97th minute, but the Sounders beat Olimipia on Brad Evans' penalty kick.
4. Evans and Chad Barrett combine to make the LA Galaxy miserable.
5. Sounders start late season unbeaten run with No Pity and an Oba Goal