The Seattle Sounders are holding a press conference on Thursday at The Ninety, their downtown clubhouse. Majority owner Adrian Hanauer, GM and President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey, head coach Sigi Schmid and Sporting Director Chris Henderson are all scheduled to be in attendance for a "significant club announcement." We know it's to announce Jordan Morris' signing. Heck, anyone paying any attention probably could have figured it out.
While the event is not open to the public, it is being livestreamed. The video is attached above and the festivities are scheduled to start at 11 a.m. PST.
So who is Jordan Morris? On the off chance you're not really familiar with the Sounders' newest signing, here's a quick synopsis:
- Grew up on Mercer Island where his family still lives
- Father, Dr. Michael Morris, has been the Sounders team physician since the USL days and still fills that role
- Moved from Eastside FC to Sounders Academy prior to his senior year in high school and promptly scored 28 goals in 32 games and was named the USSDA U18 player of the year
- Chose to attend Stanford, where he won Freshman of the Year and eventually closed out his college career by scoring a brace in the national championship game
- Was named to the top men's soccer player in the country
- Has already made seven appearances for the United States national team, including one in a World Cup qualifier
- Scored the game-winning goal against Mexico in a friendly and picked up the game-winning assist against the Netherlands
We could go on, but you get the point. There's a reason the Sounders are having a ceremony -- yes, a ceremony -- like this.