Zach Scott is coming off a pretty rough week, twice giving away passes that led directly to opposition goals in a pair of losses. Heck, we may have been guilty of piling on when we wrote a story highly critical of his performance in the U.S. Open Cup loss.
But we should also never lose sight of what he has given to this club since making the USL team through an open tryout in 2002. This is a player who played most of last season with a broken foot and managed to turn in one of his best ever seasons at the age of 34.
It’s not just his longevity or willingness to play hurt, of course. It’s how he has carried himself, constantly remaking his game and even improving while numerous observers have expected him to fail.
Maybe his best years really are behind him, and there’s plenty of evidence to suggest as much. But Scott managed to remind everyone why he’ll always be a beloved figure and legitimate club legend.
It all started with his response to a ridiculous demand that he retire immediately.
He then launched into not so much a defense of himself, but a general call to continue supporting this team despite what has so far been the worst season in the club’s history.
1. Am I above criticism? No. Is anyone on the roster or in the FO above criticism for this godawful year? Not at all. In 15 seasons— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016
2. I've never experienced a season like this. But no excuses. I will never make excuses. Our roster is what it is. Good enough to win, yes.— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016
3. But have we done that?! Not at all. I'm not saying a miracle is gonna happen, but we aren't quitting. On each other. On our coaches.— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016
4. On our city. So please be as critical as you want. Yell at us as much as you want. Pull your hair out as much as you want.— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016
5. Because we'll do the same. Losing will never be just ok. Ever. And we will fight and claw and dig ourselves out of this hole together.— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016
6. Much love Seattle and all you TRUE Sounders fans out there ❤️— zk scott (@zkscott) July 26, 2016