Sounder at Heart is looking for a beat reporter. We need someone who can go to practices two to four times a week, interview players, and share those experiences with our readers.
Spenser earned a full-time gig within the industry, in some part based on his work here and the freelance soccer work he’s done as well. This is something that SaH has done quite frequently. Jeremiah and Graham took their work here to FT gigs with SB Nation. Brian used to write for us as he charged up the path to professionalism. Kirsten and Liviu also did that. Jose went from our gif dude to doing that full time. We have also helped numerous people expand their freelance opportunities.
If you are interested in the position email myself and Jeremiah with a resume and links to a couple traditional news items you have written.
We are looking for someone with time and drive to enter sports on a professional level, but who is still quite willing to be a fan. Basic duties include:
- Attend training sessions at Starfire Sports in Tukwila a few times a week, interview players and coaches, and write articles based on those interviews
- Write articles based on news and Sounders press releases
- Attend and write about other Sounders games, events and press conferences
- Help edit for other writers on the site
- Occasionally fill in for other writers or editors
We have a mission statement and style-guide that is slightly different than the industry standard, but knowledge of AP style is helpful. We strongly believe in collaboration and discourse among both writers and readers. We feel that recognizing our biases are part of our strength.