Back in 2013 we had an idea: Why not invite a bunch of people to watch us record a podcast? A couple years later, we did it again, only this time we gave it a name: YachtCon. Then we did it again last year, with a bit more structure.
Now, we kinda hope to make this an annual event. We present: YachtCon Prime. This year’s theme is Point Break. Why? We think it’s fun — and what other reason do you need? We’re doing it at Queen Anne Beerhall on Feb. 24 from about noon-3:30 p.m.
Like previous YachtCons, we’re planning to have panels with local soccer royalty, pre-recorded interviews, raffling off prizes and lots of other fun stuff. We can’t yet announce who our guests will be, but in years past we’ve had people like Steve Zakuani, Adrian Hanauer, Garth Lagerwey, Cristian Roldan, Stefan Frei, Bill Predmore and Lesle Gallimore. This is year’s lineup will be just as good. We’re even adding a costume contest.
But it’s not just about having a good time. We’re also going to be raising money for a very worthwhile charity, the Seattle Children’s Autism Center. Over the past two events, we’ve raised more than $8,000 for Seattle Children’s Hospital, and think we might be able to double that this year.
And that’s where you come in. We’ll be raising money by selling tickets, merchandise and raffle tickets. Here’s how you can get involved:
- Tickets: They’re $8 in advance or $12 at the door. You can buy them here. (QABH has waived their normal fees, meaning everything we make off ticket sales goes to charity.)
- Ascots: These beauties were designed by MLS Watercolorist and, yes, that’s a surfboard. We’re selling them for $20 and you can pre-order them here. (We end up making about $12 from each sale, all of which is being donated.)
- Shirts: We reached out to the very talented Lindell Serrin to help us with these. It features Thurston Howell V sporting a Bodhi wig with one of the signature lines from Point Break. There are a variety styles and colors available here. Prices range from $25-$40 (we get about $10 from each sale, all of which is being donated).
- Raffle: We’re going to have a ton of awesome stuff. So far, we have a bunch of signed stuff including Sounders magazines, a jersey, a ball and a pair of boots. (Here’s a look at some of the items we currently have.) We’re hoping to have a way to let people who can’t be there participate, but we still need to figure that out. (Everything we have was donated, meaning everything we make goes to charity.)
- Other stuff: We’ll have stickers, posters and other ways to give us money for charity.
The event will once again by livestreamed by Bootstrapper Studios (here’s last year’s Sounders panel). The best way to keep updated is to follow us on Twitter or RSVP on Facebook. Hope to see you there.