clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sounders 2 lose to Timbers 2 at Cheney

Perfect can’t last forever as S2 lose their first game against T2 is Washington.

Calle Brown scrambles to gather ball in the box
Kayla Mehring/Sounder at Heart

TACOMA — Good things don’t always last forever. That is just how the world we live in works. A very good thing ended Saturday night. Seattle Sounders FC 2’s unbeaten/undrawn streak against Portland Timbers FC 2 in Washington is no longer thanks to this evening’s 1-0 loss at Cheney Stadium.

It was not a match with a ton of action, and it lacked a lot of the intensity on the field that usually comes when T2 and S2 meet. The match started a bit cagey with both side making a few nice passes but not anywhere near the attacking third. The first real action came in the 12’ when T2 headed a free kick taken just outside the area into the back of the S2 net. Luckily for S2 the play was called offsides and the score remained even.

After the disallowed goal S2 finally got into the game offensively. They just didn’t quite have the final pass needed to turn their possession into goals. The next chance again fell to T2. Renzo Zambrano let a right-footed shot fly from outside the box but Calle Brown was able to get his big frame down and prevent it from sneaking into the bottom corner.

After the save S2 had their best spell of the game. In the 34’ Ibrahim Usman did well to work himself free down the left side. After one pass was blocked he got the ball back and found Marlon Vargas with a nice cutback. Vargas didn’t get good enough contact on the ball and the shot floated wide. Vargas again had a shot at a goal in the 43’ when he made an excellent run to get behind the T2 defense. The bouncing ball didn’t come down for him quick enough though and his attempted volley ended up sailing high over the crossbar.

The second half did not go well for S2. They were on their heels almost immediately and were extremely lucky not to get a penalty called against them in the 54’. After Vargas and Felix Chenkam were removed from the match the S2 offense just had no cohesiveness. They struggled to complete even simple passes and everyone just looked lost.

They kept themselves in the game well though through decent defending and some good last ditch tackles. It looked like they would keep the unbeaten part of their home record against T2 intact with a 0-0 draw. But then with the second to last kick of the match T2 scored to make it 1-0. Victor Arboleda ran unto a loose ball near the corner and was allowed to put in an easy cross which found Eryk Williamson free in the middle of the box. Williamson simply volleyed the ball in from 6 yards out to give T2 all three points.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Sounder At Heart Weekly Roundup newsletter!

A twice weekly roundup of Seattle Sounders and OL Reign news from Sounder at Heart