Another time the Seattle Sounders are shutout. Another goal given up when the defense looked fine and then conceded because the offense needed help. Real Salt Lake certainly won the match, but it wasn’t their defense that stifled the Sounders. Seattle’s attack hurt itself; regularly off by a foot or two, passes were ineffective in setting up their targets. The Sounders now have two goals in their last six matches, are in their second three-match losing streak of the season.
The failures stretch through every level of the organization. No member of the front office, no coach, and few players are blameless for this stretch that has brought back the Dire Days.
When Stefan Frei left his goal to help the despondent attack it was - even if the right idea at the time - a sign of desperation. Any hope left disappeared when Luis Silva slipped the ball into the empty net. Seattle’s attack is so bad that one of their best moments is when they brought their keeper forward. It still didn’t work.
Stefan Frei went up for a #Sounders corner kick in stoppage time, #RSL quickly countered but looked like they might waste the opportunity, and then Luis Silva did finish into the empty net to seal a 2-0 home win. #RSLvSEA #MLS pic.twitter.com/XVJAYwkn5z— Jason Foster (@JogaBonito_USA) June 3, 2018
- Victor Rodriguez is healthy enough to be a 20-ish minute sub. He looked alright.
- Harry Shipp is fit enough to play a full half. He looked alright too.
- The Leerdam at winger experiment failed. He didn’t create the attacking chances and was pulled about 15 minutes into the second half.
- Alex Roldan continues to pursue the title of Pass Back Pete, Jr. He only completed two of his eight passes into the attacking third.
- There is no reason to think that the Sounders can score again. There were only two primarily-attacking players in the starting lineup. They didn’t have enough support.
- Will Bruin is hurt, again.
- Brian Schmetzer’s TV interview didn’t reveal any answers besides work harder.
Frei; Nouhou, Marshall, Kim, McCrary; Delem (Shipp 46’), C.Roldan; A.Roldan, Dempsey, Leerdam (Neagle 64’); Bruin (Rodriguez 74’)
57’ Corey Baird
90’+1’ Luis Silva