clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Jordan Morris wins MLS Player of the Week

Morris’ brace nets him the award for Week 1 of the regular season.

Fresh off his first-ever home brace, Seattle Sounders FC winger Jordan Morris was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the first week of the 2019 MLS season.

Morris scored twice in 77 minutes on Saturday night in Seattle’s 4-1 win over FC Cincinnati, technically putting him at the top of the Golden Boot standings. Morris had previously missed all of the 2018 MLS season because of a major ACL injury. Morris’ first goal came in just the 33rd minute of his return, when his shot was deflected off a defender and curled into the net at the far post.

Not to be stopped there, Morris scored his second goal just 10 minutes later when he blasted home a left-footed shot, putting any doubt about his ability and fitness to rest. Morris continued to be a constant threat on either wing until he was subbed off to a huge standing ovation from his hometown crowd at CenturyLink Field in the 77th minute for Harry Shipp.

Additionally, Morris made MLS’s Team of the Week with teammate Nico Lodeiro. Victor Rodriguez made the bench as well.

The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. Morris won the media component with nearly 35 percent of the vote, but only got about 19 percent of the fan vote. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Sounder At Heart Weekly Roundup newsletter!

A twice weekly roundup of Seattle Sounders and OL Reign news from Sounder at Heart