FULL-TIME: Despite playing up a man for 85 minutes, the Sounders were forced to settle for a 2-2 tie and needed an own-goal to do it. Although they created plenty of chances, the Sounders could not capitalize on most of them after Raúl Ruidíaz gave them a lead in the 42nd minute. Two Zlatan Ibrahimovic goals had the Galaxy in position to secure all three points until an own-goal Jorgen Skjelvik tied the score in the 82nd minute.
GALAXY 2, SOUNDERS 2: The Sounders were gift-wrapped the equalizer when Nicolas Lodeiro put a ball over the top to a streaking Jordan Morris. David Bingham was forced way off his line to clear the ball, but his punch bounced off his defender’s goal and rolled about 20 yards into the goal.
Hilarious own goal. 2-2 pic.twitter.com/n4usn0X2nH— Sounder At Heart (@sounderatheart) August 18, 2019
GALAXY 2, SOUNDERS 1: A promising start to the second half was undone in the 65th minute when Kim Kee-hee took down Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the box. It was a soft call, to be sure, but definitely a penalty. Stefan Frei guess correctly on the ensuing kick but could not get to it.
GALAXY 1, SOUNDERS 1: The Sounders’ lead didn’t last long as Zlatan Ibrahimovic was able to power a header past Stefan Frei in the 45th minute.
GALAXY 0, SOUNDERS 1: Raúl Ruidíaz broke his mini-slump by scoring a 42nd minute goal to give the Sounders a first-half lead. The chance started with Jordan Morris getting behind the defense, fighting off a couple defenders and laying it off to Harry Shipp, who found Ruidiaz streaking off the right.
A very good counter attack goal for Seattle. 1-0 pic.twitter.com/37FDwM9w4C— Sounder At Heart (@sounderatheart) August 18, 2019
VAR CALLS OF PENALTY: Just a few minutes after the Sounders went up a man, it looked as though they were about to more than give it back when Cristian Roldan fouled Jonathan Dos Santos in the box and a penalty was called. Luckily for them, VAR determined that Dos Santos handled the ball before being fouled.
The referee is going to the VAR machine on this PK call. pic.twitter.com/sUy5ANuik2— Sounder At Heart (@sounderatheart) August 18, 2019
RED CARD: The Sounders were handed a gift in the 6th minute when Daniel Steres dragged down Raul Ruidiaz from behind in the 6th minute, earning a red card for denial of a goal-scoring opportunity.
Red card for the Galaxy early on. pic.twitter.com/03h6Dtmzv0— Sounder At Heart (@sounderatheart) August 18, 2019
Lineups: The Sounders are able to field their strongest possible lineup tonight. Given that Rodriguez and Smith are listed as out, we knew they wouldn’t start. Svensson returns to the starting lineup after making a sub appearance in the midweek. Kim Kee-hee returns following his yellow card suspension.
Any sense of playoff security the Seattle Sounders once had should be all but gone at this point. Since a potentially season-defining win over Atlanta United, the Sounders have gone 1-3-1, including a dispiriting 3-0 loss to Real Salt Lake on Wednesday.
The LA Galaxy haven’t exactly been playing lights out either, though, and are 2-3-0 in their last five. They are, however, coming off a solid win over FC Dallas on Wednesday.
Absences: Injury, international duty and suspension
- OUT: Will Bruin (F) - right ACL tear; Brad Smith (D) - right adductor strain; Alex Roldan (D) - left ankle sprain; Victor Rodriguez (M) - left hamstring strain
- Suspended: Roman Torres (D)
- Suspended after next caution: Kelvin Leerdam (D), Nouhou Tolo (D), Nico Lodeiro (M)
- International duty: None
- OUT: Romain Alessandrini (M) - knee surgery
- QUESTIONABLE: Joe Corona (M) - knee injury; Perry Kitchen (M) - groin surgery
- Suspended: None
- Suspended after next caution: Diego Polenta (D), Favio Alvarez (M), Rolf Feltscher (D)
- International duty: None
- REF: Robert Sibiga
- AR1: Kyle Atkins
- AR2: Jason White
- 4th: Mark Allatin
- VAR: Kevin Stott
- AVAR: Fabio Tovar
Keys to the Game
- Handle Zlatan: OK, no one really “handles” Zlatan, but making sure he’s not the player that beats you needs to be a focus. While Ibrahimovic has an impressive 18 goals, no one else on the Galaxy has more than three. As he goes, so goes the Galaxy.
- Back on track: If the Sounders have an equivalent to Ibrahimovic, at least as far as scoring, Raúl Ruidíaz is it. The Sounders forward has 10 fewer goals, but he’s also played 700 fewer minutes. He’s also due for a breakout.
- Counter, counter, counter: The Galaxy are very susceptible in transition. The Sounders are probably going to spend a lot of time defending in this game, but they’ve got the pieces to hurt the Galaxy when they’re in the open field. Hopefully, Jordan Morris can channel some of that 2016 RRBH magic.
How to Watch
Match date/time: Saturday, August 17, 7 PM PT
Venue: Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, Calif.
Online Streaming: YouTube TV, ESPN, Fubo TV (affiliate link)
National English TV: ESPN2
Local Radio: 950 KJR-AM Seattle (Johnson, Webber)
Local Spanish Radio: El Rey 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
Local Spanish TV: KUNS-TV Univision-Seattle
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders at LA Galaxy; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.