FULL-TIME: The Sounders equaled their best-ever start by beating LAFC 2-0 on Sunday and improving to 5-0-1 for the season. They are now four points clear of the field in the Supporters’ Shield race, are +11 on goal-difference and have only gotten about 30 minutes out of Nicolas Lodeiro.
They got goals from Xavier Arreaga and Brad Smith in this one and Stefan Cleveland registered a shutout in his first MLS start since 2018.
From a pure results perspective, it’s hard to imagine the start of the Seattle Sounders’ season going any better than it has. They’re 4-0-1 through five games and a win tonight would equal their best-ever start in franchise history. This has come despite facing a formidable schedule that has included three playoff teams from a year ago and two other teams who have started as well as anyone in the league.
They’ve got another big test tonight against LAFC, who despite a relatively slow start has to be considered one of the most talented teams in the league and may even have Carlos Vela back.
As good as the Sounders have played, this season has had no shortage of challenges. They’ve only gotten 30 minutes from Nicolas Lodeiro and it’s unclear if he’ll play tonight; Jordy Delem just went down with a likely season-ending injury; and Stefan Frei is going to miss the next handful of games at least after suffering an injury on Wednesday.
But the Sounders have gotten this far by embracing their “next-man-up” ethos and that will likely be put to the test again.
- After losing the first three meetings against LAFC, the Sounders have lost just two of the last eight meetings (4-2-2), with one of those defeats coming in the MLS is Back knockout stage. The Sounders and LAFC tied 1-1 in their previous meeting this year.
- The Sounders have 13 points from their first five matches for the second time in the last three seasons. They’re the only team in the last 20 seasons to have at least 13 points after five games more than once.
- LAFC has collected just five points in 10 regular season away matches since the start of last season (1-7-2). Only FC Cincinnati (4) has collected fewer.
- Raúl Ruidíaz has five career goals against LAFC, more than any player other than Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
- Eduard Atuesta has scored four of his eight MLS goals (including playoffs) against Seattle, including his last two.
Absences: Injury, international duty and suspension
QUESTIONABLE: Lodeiro - R knee pain; Medranda - L hamstring strain
OUT: Atencio - R quad strain; Delem - R ACL tear; Frei - L knee sprain
OUT: Erik Duenas – R Ankle; Kwadwo Opoku – L Knee
Referee: Joseph Dickerson; AR1: Jeremy Hanson; AR2: TJ Zablocki; Fourth official: Fotis Bazakos; VAR: Timothy Ford; Ast. VAR: Joshua Patlak; VAR: Rosendo Mendoza
How to Watch
Match date/kickoff time: Sunday, May 16, 6:38 PM PT
Venue: Lumen Field, Seattle
Online Streaming: Fubo TV (affiliate link)
National English TV: FS1 (Jake Zivin & Warren Barton)
Local Radio: 950 KJR-AM Seattle (Costigan, Keller, Zakuani)
Local Spanish Radio: El Rey 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
National Spanish TV: Fox Deportes
Brazil: DAZN (Brazil)
China: China Sports Media (CSM)
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy & Spain: DAZN (Europe)
India: Discovery Eurosport
Latin America (excl. Brazil): ESPN Latin America
Southeast Asia & Oceania: BeIN Sports
United Kingdom & Ireland: Premier Sports / Free Sports
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders vs. LAFC; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.