Undefeated through seven games, the Seattle Sounders are officially off to the best start in franchise history. They can put an exclamation point on that by beating expansion side Austin FC on Sunday. A win would also catapult them into the top 10 all-time best starts in MLS history.
The matchup does seem to favor the Sounders, pretty decisively. Austin FC ranks at the bottom of the Western Conference and second-to-last in the league with an expected goal-difference of -5.2 per 90 minutes. The Sounders, meanwhile, are second in the West and fourth overall at +.41.
Austin is also playing the penultimate game of an eight-game road trip to open their MLS history. After a promising start, they’ve now lost three straight in which they’ve been outscored 5-1.
- The Sounders are riding an 11-game home unbeaten streak in which they’ve gone 9-0-2 and outscored opponents 27-8. The goal they allowed to Atlanta United was the first goal they’d allowed at home this season and snapped a 398-minute regular-season shutout streak that dated to last season.
- Austin FC has allowed eight goals in its first seven MLS matches. The only two expansion teams in league history to allow fewer at this stage were New York City FC (6 in 2015) and Seattle (4 in 2009).
- Brad Stuver has made 4.5 saves per 90 minutes this season, second in MLS behind only LA Galaxy’s Jonathan Bond’s 4.7 (minimum 200 minutes).
- The Sounders have scored 10 of their 14 goals in the second halves of games and have only scored in both halves once this season, against the LA Galaxy.
- Did you know that Matthew McConaughey — the actor!!! — is a part-owner of Austin FC?!?
Absences: Injury, international duty and suspensions
OUT: Atencio - R quad strain; Delem - R ACL tear; Frei - L knee sprain; Lodeiro - R knee surgery
OUT: Ben Sweat (ACL); Hector Jimenez (MCL); Ulises Segura (Left Knee); Daniel Pereira (Right Knee); Aaron Schoenfeld (Left Knee)
SUSPENDED AFTER TWO YELLOW CARDS: SEA: Xavier Arreaga; ATX: Daniel Pereira
Referee: Rosendo Mendoza; Ast. Referee 1: Jeremy Hanson; Ast. Referee 2: Walter Heatherly; Fourth official: Nima Saghafi; VAR: Timothy Ford; Ast. VAR: Joshua Patlak
How to Watch
Match date/kickoff time: Sunday, May 30, 6:38 PM
Venue: Lumen Field, Seattle
Online Streaming: Fubo TV (affiliate link)
National English TV: FS1 (Keith Costigan & Maurice Edu)
Local Radio: 950 KJR-AM Seattle (Evans, Keller, Zakuani)
Local Spanish Radio: El Rey 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
National Spanish TV: Fox Deportes
Brazil: DAZN (Brazil)
China: China Sports Media (CSM)
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy & Spain: DAZN (Europe)
India: Discovery Eurosport
Latin America (excl. Brazil): ESPN Latin America
Netherlands: ESPN Netherlands
Southeast Asia & Oceania: beIN Sports
Sub-Saharah Africa: ESPN Africa
United Kingdom & Ireland: Free Sports
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders vs. Austin FC; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.