For probably the first time this year, the Seattle Sounders will face a team on even better form than them. While the Sounders’ 2-1-2 record over their last five is hardly bad, Sporting KC is actually slightly better at 3-1-1 going into Sunday’s top-of-the-table showdown.
Sporting KC have been nipping at the Sounders’ heels for most of the season, even briefly pulling ahead in the standings a couple of weeks ago. Although the Sounders now have a five-point lead, KC has a game in hand. This is a classic “six-pointer.”
Like the Sounders, Sporting KC is doing all this in the midst of a youth movement. They have 12 Homegrown Players on their roster, several of whom are playing prominent roles.
Also like the Sounders, Sporting KC are missing a few key pieces, with midfielder Gianluca Busio and forward Alan Pulido both at the Gold Cup. The Sounders will be getting back Xavier Arreaga from suspension and Shane O’Neill may also be available after being upgraded to questionable on the injury list.
- Sporting KC is an astounding 5-1-2 in games where they give up the first goal. They have 17 points from a losing position — more than any team had all of last year — including a point in Wednesday’s match against San Jose. That’s actually a better record than when they score first — 3-2-1.
- This is the first meeting between the two teams since 2019, when Sporting KC beat the Sounders in both meetings despite missing the playoffs for the first time since 2011. KC’s 3-2 road win in 2019 also marked the first time that they’d scored more than one goal in a game at Lumen Field.
- The Sounders have gone 22-1-8 at Lumen Field since that loss to Sporting KC in 2019.
- Raúl Ruidíaz scored his 11th goal in the Sounders’ 15th game of the season, the fastest in franchise history, and was named MLS Player of the Week. Obafemi Martins also scored his 11th goal in his 15th appearance of 2015, but it was broken up by a two-month absence due to injury.
- The Sounders set a franchise record last game by using six Homegrown Players. They also used eight players who had attended high school in the region.
- Sporting’s 8-5-2 regular-season road record since the start of 2020 is the best in MLS. Their eight road wins during that time are second-most behind New England.
- The Sounders and Sporting KC have both outscored opponents 12-4 during the last 30 minutes of matches this season. Their +8 goal-difference in that period is tied for the best in MLS.
- The Sounders have a penchant for late-heroics against Kansas City. Of their nine all-time wins against Sporting, eight have featured the game-winner coming after the 75th minute, six have come in the 88th minute or later and five have come in stoppage time.
Absences: Injury, international duty and suspension
OUT - Nico Lodeiro (knee surgery), Jordy Delem (ACL tear), Jordan Morris (ACL Tear), Will Bruin (right knee surgery), Stefan Frei (left knee sprain/blood clot), Nouhou (left adductor strain), Cristian Roldan (int. duty - USA), Alex Roldan (int. duty - El Salvador)
QUESTIONABLE: Shane O’Neill (left hip flexor strain).
OUT - Alan Pulido (Int. Duty - Mexico), Gianluca Busio (Int. Duty - USA), Felipe Hernandez (personal reasons), Grayson Barber (Health & Safety Protocols), Tyler Freeman (Health & Safety Protocols).
Referee: Ramy Touchan; Ast. Referee 1: Ian Anderson; Ast. Referee 2: Jeff Hosking; Fourth official: Michael Radchuk; VAR: Hilario Grajeda; Ast. VAR: Michael Kampmeinert
How to Watch
Match date/kickoff time: Sunday, 6:08 PM PT
Venue: Lumen Field, Seattle
Online Streaming: Amazon Prime (affiliate link, in-market), ESPN+ (affiliate link, out of market), Locast.org
Local English TV: JOEtv (Costigan, Keller, Frei)
Local Radio: 950 KJR-AM Seattle (Costigan, Keller, Frei)
Local Spanish Radio: El Rey 1360 AM (Rodriguez, Maqueda, Tapia)
Local Spanish TV: KUNS-TV Univision-Seattle
Czech Republic: Nova Sport
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy & Spain: DAZN (Europe)
Georgia: Silk Sport
India: Discovery Eurosport
Latin America (excl. Brazil): ESPN Latin America
Southeast Asia & Oceania: beIN SPORTS
Highlights will be posted as the match progresses.
This is Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting KC; watch with us
Sounder at Heart has affiliate partnerships. These do not influence editorial content, though Sounder at Heart may earn commissions for products purchased via affiliate links.