It would seem the national press have suddenly taken quite a liking to Raúl Ruidíaz. Fresh off winning MLS Player of the Week for his two-goal performance against the Portland Timbers, Ruidíaz was given the award again on Thursday after providing the game’s only goal in a 1-0 win over FC Dallas.
Ruidíaz came off the bench in that one, scoring just 20 seconds or so after entering the game on a spectacular sequence in which his left-footed shot was blocked only to use his right foot to loft the rebound over the head of goalkeeper Jimmy Mauer, kissing both the crossbar and sidebar before crossing the goal-line.
What’s remarkable about the award is that not only did Ruidíaz finish with just nine touches — two of which came on that play — but he also wasn’t even nominated for Player of the Week by the league, meaning his entire vote margin came from the voting press in the NASR.
Fans overwhelmingly picked Union fullback Kai Wagner, who got no votes from the media.
1. Raul Ruidiaz, Seattle Sounders FC: 13.24% (17.65% Media, 0% Fans)
2. Carlos Coronel, New York Red Bulls: 11.45% (7.84% Media, 22.26% Fans)
3. Ezequiel Barco, Atlanta United FC: 10.30% (13.73% Media, 0% Fans)
4. Ryan Gauld, Vancouver Whitecaps: 9.21% (3.92% Media, 25.09% Fans)
5. Kai Wagner, Philadelphia Union: 8.97% (0% Media, 35.87% Fans)
Make of that what you will, but we’re sure Ruidíaz will happily accept the award.