It’s a great weekend to watch Women’s World Cup Qualifying as Paramount+ has 14 games going. The Second Round of the Open Cup wrapped up with a couple of cupsets. Plus more to read.
Puget Sound Soccer
Sounders Academy teams ready to test themselves against biggest clubs in the world at 2022 Generation adidas Cup | Seattle Sounders
Sounders Academy U-15 and U-17 to benchmark themselves against top young players in the world at GA Cup
Two of Seattle’s Best XI of Leg 1 came up through their Academy.
The other side of the CCL bracket
Pumas defeats Cruz Azul 2-1 in first leg of CONCACAF Champions League semifinals - FMF State Of Mind
Pumas got a 2-1 win at home in the first leg of the CCL Semifinals, setting up a tense return leg at Estadio Azteca.
U.S. Open Cup
The final matchups of the second round ended last night.
- Cal Strikers United beat San Fernando Valley 5-nil. A 15-year old had a goal and an assist.
- Sacramento Republic beat Portland Timbers U-23 6-nil. Draw city did manage to draw the second half, at zeros.
- Birmingham Legion beat Southern States Soccer Club 3-1. Juan Agudelo played for Legion, but didn’t score.
- Hartford Athletic beat Oyster Bay FC 3-1. Former Defiance CB Tom Brewitt went 90 in the win.
- Greenville Triumph cupset Oakland Roots 2-nil. Former Sounders Academy keeper Paul Christensen pitched the shutout for coach John Harkes, yes that Harkes.
- Chattanooga FC cupset Memphis 901 3-1. Trey Muse did not play for Memphis.
- Rochester NY FC beat Lansdowne Yonkers FC 1-0. With that win both MLS Next Pro teams advance to the third round. They should still be the Rhinos.
- South Georgia Tormenta FC cupset Charleston Battery 1-0. It was Tormenta’s first-ever Open Cup match.
There’s only one amateur team left in the 2022 U.S. Open Cup — FC Motown of the NSPL, form Morristown, N.J.
Liga MX Femenil recap: 2022 Clausura, Week 14 - FMF State Of Mind
While all teams are still technically in the Liguilla race, some are worrying about their tragic number as it approaches zero.
El Salvador deploying near open-door policy in quest to add talent to women's team
Inside the push to boost the Cuscatlecas
US National Team
Looking back at 2022 World Cup qualifying - Stars and Stripes FC
After 14 grueling matches spread across a continent and 7 months, the USMNT has qualified for the World Cup. Here’s a recap of how it went down.
Chelsea FC bid saga
Todd Boehly spotted at Chelsea match as final week of bidding rolls on - We Ain't Got No History
Win or lose, up the Blues
Nerd stuff I share
The Wheel of Time now available for modern PCs through GOG.com - Polygon
Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time video game gets re-released for modern PCs via GOG.com as a "Good Old Game."
Can Mushrooms "Talk" to Each Other? | The Scientist Magazine®
Forest floor-dwelling fungi can send one another electrical signals to form word-like clusters, according to a computer scientist, but whether that represents something akin to language isn't clear.
Call the Midwife – a 5th edition D&D Background | Full Moon Storytelling
Before you were a hero you were a Midwife, an honored and esteemed healer, confidant, and guide through pregnancy and birth.
What to watch this weekend
There are seven Women’s World Cup Qualifiers on Paramount+ between 11:00 AM PT and 5 PM PT. Watch a couple.
Noon PT — Newcastle United vs Wolverhampton Wanderers on USA Network/Universo.
5:00 & 7:00 PM PT — Pumas and Cruz Azul play on TUDN/UniMas. Scout that CCL Final.
There are seven more Women’s World Cup Qualifiers on Paramount+ Saturday too.
2:30 PM PT — USWNT vs Uzbekistan on FOX/Fox Deportes. A great opportunity for one of Asia’s sleeping giants.
10:30 AM PT — Charlotte FC vs Atlanta United on ABC/ESPN Deportes. These non-rivals sure get featured on television a lot.
4:30 PM PT — Austin FC vs Minnesota United on FS1/Fox Deportes. Go Verde.
5:00 PM PT — St. Louis City FC II vs Tacoma Defiance on MLSNextPro.com. Wade Webber’s team should have a lot of MLS talent playing, which is important as SLCFCII already signed MLS quality players.