Seattle Sounders are one of the more well known teams of Major League Soccer. They get attached to a lot of famous names, but most of those don’t work out — because most rumors are crap. This is almost certainly one of those rumors. Yes, the Daily Express says that former NYCFC-Manchester City player and Chelsea legend Frank Lampard is drawing interest from the Seattle Sounders.
Both Orlando City and LA Galaxy - who have just seen Lampard’s former England teammate Steven Gerrard confirm that he will be leaving after two seasons with the club - are the front runners who have declared interest.
Seattle Sounders, Atlanta United and Chicago Fire are also keen.
No, that doesn’t make sense, for a lot of reasons.
- Lampard isn’t going to move the marketing needle in Seattle.
- President of Soccer Garth Lagerwey doesn’t think the Sounders need a marketing type DP.
- The Sounders start two defensive midfielders behind Nicolas Lodeiro (or Clint Dempsey when healthy). Frank isn’t as good as either of them anymore.
- They’re almost certainly looking for a DP winger.
- The Express gives no indication as to the strength of their source.
- Lagerwey has consistently talked about getting younger in order to extend Seattle’s playoff window, not shorten it for one last attempt. They fired a coach over this philosophy.
- Lampard is older than any non-keeper Seattle’s ever signed.
- Frank probably isn’t going to sign with a team where he’d play on artificial turf.
- Just because Seattle’s rich doesn’t mean they are stupid.
Some of those other teams do make sense. Orlando, the Galaxy and Atlanta are all haves. For different reasons each could need a player with resume of Frank Lampard and his remaining soccer qualities.
The Chicago Fire make no sense — like, less than Seattle, even.
With the offseason a couple weeks away you should expect to see the Sounders attached to a lot of rumors. Most of those will be because agents and players around the world know the front office is loaded, can spend money and there are huge crowds here. A few of those rumors will be able to be taken seriously. This is not one of those.