clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sounders interested in acquiring Panamanian CB Roderick Miller

The 25-year-old is reportedly on the outs at Atletico Nacional.

Soccer: 2016 Copa America Centenario-Panama at Bolivia Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports

After several weeks of following the Roderick Miller situation, a reliable source has told me Seattle Sounders FC has reached out to Colombia’s Atletico Nacional with an inquiry about the player’s contract and his salary needs. The Colombian giant decided to put Miller on the market with the intention to open an international spot. New boss Jorge Almiron, not pleased with his roster, has made several moves to bring in players of his liking, creating an overstock of international players.

In a phone conversation with Sporting Director Victor Marulanda a few weeks ago, I was told, “The player has our authorization to listen to offers, it is my understanding that he has received several offers from United States soccer (MLS). We will wait for the weekend to pass and we will look at that market (MLS) and the Brazilian market, as those are open and there are club in both of those who are interested in him.”

Although unable to share details about the teams interested, the Panamanian shared his perspective on all the rumors circling his name during an exclusive phone conversation.

“I am still in Colombia and I continue to train fully with Atletico Nacional to stay in game form while I wait for something to get finalized in the MLS,” he said. “There have been plenty of rumors that I cannot comment although I can tell you there have been conversations with a couple of teams in the MLS but there is nothing set in stone. I am hoping an agreement is reached because I am very excited about the opportunity to play in the MLS. I feel in great shape and confident I would make immediate impact in any club that signs me.”

Regarding his knowledge on the Sounders Miller added, “I know they are one of the biggest clubs in the MLS, I’ve followed them since Roman joined the team, that’s my capitan and we have played in many games together. If he is there it’s because Sounders are a quality club. Plus, the atmosphere in that stadium seems to be fantastic for what I have seen on TV.”

Due to minor injuries as well as changes around the organization, Miller has only played approximately 1,155 minutes in 13 games, since joining the ‘Verdolagas’ back in 2016. Still, he has a high ceiling and plenty of experience at his position. The 25-year-old center back is a physical lefty, with good footwork and a very talented passer from the back line, attributes that have earned him caps with the Panamanian national team at the U17-U23 level; in Olympic games, two Gold Cups, World Cup Qualifiers and Copa America Centenario. Both Chris Henderson and Garth Lagerwey have both indicated the team is in the market for more center back depth.

Atletico Nacional is one of the most successful clubs in South America and holds only 70 percent of the player’s card while Panamanian side, San Francisco FC holds the other 30 percent. Therefore Miller’s acquisition would potentially require some high-level TAM money and a lot of negotiating. I am also told that the Sounders have at least one more center back on their board of possible acquisitions for this transfer window, giving Seattle the leverage in negotiations by having other options, regardless of the quality that Miller can provide.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Sounder At Heart Weekly Roundup newsletter!

A twice weekly roundup of Seattle Sounders and OL Reign news from Sounder at Heart