The result was a draw that felt like a loss to Coach Ezra Hendrickson. Seattle Sounders Reserves took an early lead thanks to Chad Barrett. But couldn't hang on when the Colorado Rapids rushed back in the second half. Ezra's lineup started with a squad that compares well to some MLS teams. Hahnemann in goal with a backline of Kovar, Scott, Anibaba, and Evans. The midfield was Bowen, Rose, Azira, and Okoli. Up top were Barrett and Cooper.
Why was Brad Evans at RB?
Why was Brad Evans at RB?
Only the most dedicated MLS observers would recognize more than half of the Rapids. Zach Scott and Chad Barrett (a minor ankle thing according to Ezra) left injured in the second half. Josh Ford and Fabio Periera played the full second forty-five. Academy player Matt Reinikka took over Scott in the 51st minute. Cam Weaver came in for Barrett for the final 30 minutes. Henry Wingo played a few minutes of stoppage time replacing Sean Okoli.
Since you probably didn't watch the livestream here are five things you would have learned if you did.
- Chad Barrett is instant offense. He has goals in every Reserve game or college scrimmage at this time. He's got a nose for goal at this level that is not going to be stopped. Considering Seattle's typical Open Cup run he should be expected to perform well there. Sunday's goal came off of corner service from Kovar that
AnibabaOkoli knocked further into the area for Barrett to finish off.
- Aaron Kovar at left back is intriguing. He gets more space to serve the ball than he does when a center mid or left wing and his run-of-play passing is quite strong. But it is on dead ball situations where he is something special. His booming kicks are well paced, accurate and regularly create threats. He could have had several assists.
- Whenever Brad Evans plays right back the opposing team thinks that they have an advantage there. He's not as fast as other RBs. He's "out of position." They test him. They fail. He doesn't ace those tests, but he looks good in the role. If Germany's second team can't get past Evans at RB why would Colorado think they could?
- Most people don't get to see Josh Ford. He's behind a legend, but today he got forty-five minutes. Those minutes were the reason Seattle managed a home point. He did give up the goal, but he stopped Elondou on several occasions. His athleticism and reactions are quite good. Games like today should build confidence in his ability to be a backup soon.
- Colorado also subbed off their keeper at half. With just moments left in the game what was a rather pedestrian 1-1 draw got a bit of entertainment. Okoli was working the Rapids right back and the only thing mister Kortne Ford could do was pull him down from behind for a yellow and a free kick right on the left elbow. Okoli took umbrage to Ford's play and charged at him. Keeper Joe Nasco stepped in between the two youngsters and eventually picked Okoli up and carried him away from the tension. Some words must have been exchanged because as Nasco walked away he picked up the ball and threw it at the back of Okoli's head for an easy red card.
The Rapids Reserves would play stoppage time down a man with an outfield player (CB Griffiths) in goal. He touched the ball once and hugged it for all his life.
From the press release:
Sounders FC will continue MLS Reserve League action on May 18 against the LA Blues at Starfire Stadium while the Colorado Rapids will host Chivas USA on May 12.
SEA - Chad Barrett (Jalil Anibaba, Aaron Kovar) 4'
COL - Danny Mwanga (Charles Elondou) 63'
Seattle Sounders FC - Marcus Hahnemann (Josh Ford 45), Brad Evans (Fabio Pereira 45), Zach Scott (Matt Reinikka 51), Jalil Anibaba, Aaron Kovar, Michael Azira, Andy Rose, Sean Okoli (Henry Wingo 90+), Tristan Bowen, Kenny Cooper, Chad Barrett (Cam Weaver 60).
Substitutes Not Used: Duncan McCormick, Yoshi Chaffin.
TOTAL SHOTS: 19; SHOTS ON GOAL: 5; FOULS: 5; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 4.
Colorado Rapids - John Berner (Joe Nasco 46), Kortne Ford, Marvell Wynne, Brenton Griffths, John Neeskens, Jovanni Chavez, Jared Watts (Miles Chow 70), Charles Elondou, Marlon Hairston (Enda O'Neill 46), Danny Mwanga, Kamani Hill.
Substitutes Not Used: None.
TOTAL SHOTS: 13; SHOTS ON GOAL: 10; FOULS: 13; OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 6; SAVES: 9.
COL - John Neeskens (caution) 83'
COL - Kortne Ford (caution) 88'
COL - Joe Nasco (ejection) 89'
Referee: Josh Wilkens
Referee's Assistants: Farhad Dadko, Mehmet Akin
4th Official: Ian Johnson
All statistics contained in this boxscore are unofficial