clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Sounders 2 erase three-goal deficit to earn draw

S2 were very bad for much of the match but somehow came from behind to equalize in stoppage time.

TACOMA, Wash. — Despite one of their worst performances of the year, Seattle Sounders 2 showed some true grit to earn a draw and extend their Cheney unbeaten streak to five matches. The S2 defensive midfielders and center backs had a bad night at the ballpark and allowed four goals, including a hat trick from Jesús Ferreira. Luckily the Tulsa Roughneck’s goalkeeper had just as bad a night and allowed goals from Lamar Neagle, Henry Wingo, David Estrada and Shandon Hopeau. Hopeau’s goal came in the last seconds of the game and turned an S2 loss into a draw with a 4-4 score on Wednesday.

S2 started the game off horribly and Tulsa should have had two goals in the opening five minutes but fortunately for S2, Tulsa were just awful finishers on the night. S2’s luck wouldn’t last forever though and Tulsa’s Ferreira scored his first in 16’. In what was a pattern all night the defensive midfielders failed to help defend out wide which allowed Nemenja Vukovic time to put in a top level early cross that beat both of S2’s centerbacks and gave Ferreira an easy tap-in from six yards out.

Tulsa added to their lead in 36’ after Jesse Daley brought down Ivan Mirkovic in the box and Rivas finished the chance from the spot. S2 kept it close when they were given a dubious penalty in the last minute of the first half and Neagle was able to get the ball past Fabián Cerda to make it 2-1.

Tulsa came out flying in the second half and absolutely tore S2 apart in the opening 15 minutes. In 54’ they added their third when Vukovic sent in another quality cross which Ferreira a simple header he sent past Calle Brown. Ferreira then got his hat trick in 56’ as he dribbled easily past a couple S2 defenders in the box and slid his shot easily past Brown.

S2 were able to make things a little interesting just 3 minutes later though after Cerda saw his awful punch clearance volleyed past him by Wingo. Tulsa regained control of the game again after the Wingo goal, though, and probably should have added one or two more goals, lucky for S2 they were not able to and the comeback truly began in the 82’.

In 82’ Tulsa conceded a free kick near the top of their box. Hopeau sent the kick into the wall but it took a weird deflection into the air. Cerda came off his line for it but Anotnee Burke-Gilroy beat him there and volleyed the ball back towards goal. As he so often is, Estrada was waiting at the back post and had a simple header to cut the deficit to one goal.

Then in the last minute of stoppage time, Hopeau made a good move to cut inside into the box so he could get a shot off with his powerful right foot. He sent a rocket towards goal, and while it hit off of Cerda it was too powerful for the struggling keeper to handle and the last second goal gave S2 there fifth straight result at Cheney with the final score of 4-4.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Sounder At Heart Weekly Roundup newsletter!

A twice weekly roundup of Seattle Sounders and OL Reign news from Sounder at Heart